6/02/2012

Friday's Treat

This weeks treat....Lemon Bars and Strawberry Shortcake Bars. It has been very "summer-y" here the last few weeks ( FINALLY!!!! ) so I wanted to make something that was "summer-y" to go along with it. Lemon Bars are one of my husbands favorites so he was thrilled and the strawberry shortcake bars just happened because I had fresh strawberries in the fridge:) I am sorry to say i don't have a picture of either one. The Lemon
Bars were not done until late thursday evening, there was a bit of a scare with those. I thought I was going to have to make them over!! Turns out I just let them sit in the fridge for too long. So anyways, I didn't get the pictures thursday evening and I forgot to take them Friday morning so when I went to get the extras out of the fridge for the picture I found my husband had already eaten all of them;) Did I mention that Lemon Bars are one of his favorites? The recipe for the Lemon Bars will follow. I didn't have a recipe for the Strawberry Shortcake Bars. ( Christine, you should probably stop reading here....hahaha) I used a Butter Recipe Cake Mix....I know, I know! I am as shocked as you are that I used a cake mix!!!! Melted a stick of butter and mixed into the mix just so it would hold together and then pressed 2/3 of it into a brownie pan. I cooked the fresh strawberries with a little bit of sugar until it started to thicken and that over top of the cake mix. Sprinkled the rest of the mix on top and then baked it for about 25 minutes. After those were cool I drizzled some white icing ( powdered sugar and milk ) over top. Super easy and really good. You could also use jam/jelly in these as well as any kind of fruit. I had about 2 qrts of Strawberries and used about 1/2 cup of sugar when cooking them. I got to thinking afterwards that you could also use the crust of the Lemon Bars as well for these.

Lemon Bars

Crust:
1/2 cup Butter
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 cup Flour
1/8 tsp Salt

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix just until holding together. Press into an 8*8 pan and bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.

Topping/Filling
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
2 tablespoons Flour

Beat sugar and eggs until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and then pour over crust. Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar after they are cool

Enjoy



P.S. I can't wait to show you what I found at an Estate sale I went to today....so excited:)

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!!

Mary Elizabeth







2 comments:

  1. My questions is, did you already have the box mix (why??) or did you buy it just for these? I'm hoping it was a special purchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha....Im a little hesitant to admit that I already had it. Thats the only reason I used it:) I buy them on occasion when they are on sale for $1 and then use coupons and get them pretty cheap. Hardly ever use them though.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Follow Me on Pinterest