2/04/2013

Homemade Bread

I should start this post about my newest kitchen machine, but I couldn't wait to get pictures of it and the whole process. I finally have my grain mill up and running. And I am SO EXCITED about it. I now mill grain for flour. It's pretty easy and so much better for you. Did you know that flour loses all of it's nutrients within 72 hours of being milled? There is nothing good for you in store bought flour. I realize that not everyone wants to mill their own flour. It is definitely worth the little extra expense to get started. I'll take pictures of the process this afternoon and show you.

So, on to the homemade bread. This is one of the best and easiest recipes for homemade bread. The kids love it and eat it more than bread I made before. They also love being involved in the process of milling the wheat.
 Here's the recipe from Uncle John's Original Bread Book:

Braue's Home-Baked Whole-Wheat Bread
2 packages active dry yeast (2 Tablespoons if you use bulk yeast)
1 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup brown sugar (homemade)
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups scalded milk
2 tablespoons melted butter (I need to do a post for homemade butter)
7 cups of flour 

Dissolve yeast in water for about 10 minutes. While the yeast is dissolving, scald milk, then add brown sugar, salt and butter. Combine yeast mixture and milk mixture. Slowly add dough 1 cup at a time until the down doesn't stick to the side of the bowl.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until springy and smooth. Shape into a bowl and place into a lightly floured bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until double in size.
Then divide dough into two balls. Shape each into loaves and place in greased bread pans. Cover with clean towel and let rise again until double in size.
Bake at 350 for about 30 - 45 minutes. The time depends on the size of the loaves and if using fresh flour. I have noticed that things bake a lot faster with the fresh flour. I'm not sure why. When I find out I'll let you know. Bake until the tops are golden brown. If using fresh flour until the temperature reaches 120-125 degrees.
Let the loaves cool in the pans for about 10 minutes and then remove from pans and let them finish cooling.


The result is a loaf of the best bread you will ever eat.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Follow Me on Pinterest