10/18/2013

Firday's Treat ~ Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

It has been entirely too long since my last Friday's Treat post! Or any post for that matter, My two little babies keep my days full. Especially since they lack { for the most part } the desire to sleep!! I will post all the goodies I have been making as time allows, there are several you won't want to miss!

I have been ready to make something pumpkin for a while but the office seems to enjoy chocolate and more chocolate....well, not today:) Sorry ya'll!!


I have been eyeing these Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls for several weeks and I am so glad I finally made them! They were just as simple as regular cinnamon rolls, if you can call cinnamon rolls simple. I think I will try a different recipe next time, or just use a plain dough and do a pumpkin filling. Just to mix things up a bit. I found the recipe on Six Sister's Stuff website. They have some great fall recipes so check them out.




These are every bit as good as they look. I didn't make the cream cheese frosting. I thought the brown butter caramel drizzle would be better. These rolls do not lack sweetness and I think the cream cheese frosting would have been too much...



my little helpers hard at work. I officially need more counter space:)


Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
      from Six Sister's Stuff

Dough:
1/4 c. warm water
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1 c. canned pumpkin puree
1/3 c. margarine, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
5-6 c. flour


Filling:
1/2 c - 2/3 c. canned pumpkin puree (to your preference)
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 T cinnamon
*optional: 3/4 c. raisins, 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans


Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
3 T butter    1/2 tsp vanilla     2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
1. Combine warm water, yeast, and teaspoon of sugar in small bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand until froth doubles.
2. In mixer fitted with dough hook, combine milk, eggs, pumpkin, margarine, the 1/2 c. sugar, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Mix until smooth (don't have a mixer? You can still make these. I first used a wooden spoon until it got to be too hard and then I started using my hands. You have to knead it for a while to get that smooth consistency, but it can be done!).
3. Add 4 cups flour to mixing bowl. Pour frothed yeast mixture on top of flour. Knead about 5 minutes, adding flour 1/2 c. at a time until dough barely begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Dough should be smooth and moist, but not sticky.
4. Spray a bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover with wet towel, or plastic wrap sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Allow to raise until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. While dough is raising, prepare filling. Place room temperature butter and pumpkin puree in small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth. In another small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon, set both bowls aside.
6. Pour dough out on slightly floured surface. Roll into a rectangle 16x21 inches, dough should be about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the pumpkin/butter mixture over rectangle. Next, evenly spread the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top, slightly pressing it into the dough.
7. Roll up long side of dough, forming long tube. Cut tube with sharp knife about every 2 inches, making 12 rolls. Place rolls in lightly greased 9x13 baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
9. Bake rolls in oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to make frosting. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.

Brown Butter Drizzle/Frosting:
1 stick butter, melted and slightly browned
1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar, homemade makes it so much better
2-3 tbls milk
1-2 cups powdered sugar
melt butter in pan until slightly brown. add brown sugar and milk and stir to combine. remove from heat and add enough  powdered sugar to get your desired consistency. I only used about 3/4 cup for this recipe because I didn't want it to be too thick.


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Follow Me on Pinterest