2/05/2014

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I know it's been forever since I have done a post on here. It's been a little crazy since November. It took our oldest awhile to recover from his surgery in November. A few days before leaving the hospital my husband started a new job on the slope. For those outside of Alaska, the "slope" is at the top of Alaska. He works on the pipeline. It's a three week on, three week off rotation. But since November 22, for several reasons, he has only been home for three weeks. He is scheduled to return home on Monday. I can't wait. Pretty much anything that could go wrong has and then some. Also, a week after getting home from the hospital we closed on a house in Sutton, AK. It's a log sided house on 5 1/2 acres on the Mat-Su River. Can I just say we LOVE it there. I have been going back and forth (1 1/2 drive from Anchorage) a couple of times a week painting. Hopefully, we will be out there full time by April.


So, back to the title of this post, homemade dishwasher detergent. I have been using this for awhile now and have no complaints. For me it works great and I save money. I usually only run the dishwasher once a day, after dinner. This recipe lasts me about five weeks and costs about $2.00. The price depends on where I buy the ingredients and if they happen to be on sale. Also, we don't have hard water so sometimes I don't use the citrus shine (that makes a difference in the price). I also use vinegar as a rinse aid (just fill the rinse aid dispenser as normal). I have not had any issues with spots on the glasses, dishes are always clean. The best part is that you haven't used any harsh chemicals and save money. I got my recipe from here.

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
1 1/2 cup Lemi-Shine (used for hard water)
1 1/2 cup super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Baking Soda
1/2 cup Sea Salt
Mix it all together and fill your dishwasher soap dispenser as normal.


It's so simple, works great, and it's cheap. It's worth a try.

Christine

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are still alive! I am almost out of dishwasher soap...I will def give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't made this. waiting to use up what I already have....will definitely be doing this though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Follow Me on Pinterest